Wednesday 22 April 2015

Summative evaluation


There were 3 tasks in this module, individual practice, collaborative practice and creating a project report. I found the first two study tasks very useful. The individual practice brief got me to enter competitions that I might not have if I didn’t have this brief, get myself out into the world more and take on live briefs, expand my skills and try new things. Although at the beginning of this module I was really reluctant to start finding briefs to do, as I didn’t feel very confident in my abilities, now I have finished I feel like I am capable of much more and want to carry on doing live briefs and competitions over the summer.

Things I found difficult about this project was the amount of briefs we had to do which for a 20 credit module I thought was a bit too much. We also had lots of other briefs going on at the same time and it was very hard to manage my time. I started making daily schedules to make sure I kept on track with everything. This helped a lot but I still felt like I had way too much to do. Now it is over I am glad I did it.

I also thought that the collaborative practice brief was very useful and I am glad we did that too, as I might not have had the chance to collaborate otherwise. It really opened my eyes to how much better you can make a project with a little help. I chose to work with an illustrator because I felt that would improve the quality of my animation and I was right, I am really impressed with it. Aggie and I worked really well as a team, both being punctual and doing things when we say we will. We managed to complete our project one week early so we had time to make some minor changes at the end. I would definitely consider collaborating again in the future.

Things I found difficult in this module were also my confidence levels, which did improve after seeing our final animations. I thought I was going to let aggie down as I was still learning the software and she wouldn’t want to work with me again but it actually turned out to be the opposite and she was really impressed with our collaboration and wouldn’t mind doing it again. I also found it difficult that I did not have the software I needed to work on it whenever I wanted, I had to come into uni a lot more than I usually do. This also made me realize that if you’re in uni there is more help about.

The project report task I found a bit tedious and didn’t really see the point and I was struggling to understand how it worked and get my head around how to lay the pages out so it would look right as a book. I managed it in the end with a lot of stress. Now it is finished I absolutely love the look of it and think I might be able to use it as a version of a portfolio or at least this method.

Aside from the study tasks, I found the classes about pitching and understanding briefs very useful. I think we could possibly have covered a lot of ground in a shorter time though. I think it was good that we learnt to do pitch boards and got to see other people versions of the same brief because that is like the real world and I like giving and receiving criticism about the work because it really makes you think about what your doing and why.

Overall, this is by far the most stressful module yet and it has really pushed me to and over my limits. I think there was a little too much expected of us for a 20 credit module. However I do think that this module has benefited us all greatly and we have got a lot out of it.

I think if I were to restart this module, I would start doing or at least plan out my individual briefs in the first few weeks of having the brief. Or at the least start looking for things I could do. This way I would be much more prepared and wouldn’t have to spend so long further through the brief trawling the Internet for something to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment