Wednesday 15 April 2015

Wall art

I have been asked to do some wall art. The client wants a tree painting in the kitchen, we have been looking online and have found various examples of things she likes. She has decided that she doesn't want it to look too much like a fantasy tree. She like the look of it being quite random and natural, she also likes the look of it being windy and we both agreed that that would work very well in the space she has available. 
The original idea when we were talking was to make it a family tree, something she could put photos on like these examples:
 But when we started finding nicer trees she said she wasn't so sure anymore.

She preferred trees like these, and so did i although i knew they would be more of a challenge to draw. I thought accepting this challenge would be a good idea because it will get me to do something i have not attempted before and get out of my comfort zone. I have always struggled to draw trees so that will be interesting, but also i have never drawn anything so large.

So i started drawing and i came up with this design in my sketchbook so i could get a rough idea of what i was drawing first. I wasn't sure if i was finished but as soon as the client saw it she said she loved it and wanted me to get it on the wall so we could see what it looked like.


So i started marking it out on the walls and it looked pretty good, the client was pleased and i was also pleased with myself because i struggle to draw trees and also i have never drawn anything so big.




Next we went out to buy the paint. The client couldn't decide between black and grey so i suggested a dark grey because i felt it was less harsh, more designer ish and also it would look good with the new kitchen counter tops that were going to be a mottled grey and black. 





I then put some paint on the walls! Quite a nervracking experience but as the client said, if its not right we can just paint back over it. That made me feel a lot more at ease. That was it for today, more to do on Friday, and hopefully ill get it finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment