Saturday 7 February 2015

Research

I have found a couple of videos I have found that I think have unique points that we could work with.
This one is called Man. What I like about this is that he just strolls into this place and starts using things and killing things like its nothing just for his own personal gain. This carries on until he has completely changed the way the world is and then aliens come down and kill him just like the man killed the animals. It's a really hard hitting way of showing people that this is actually how we are acting but because its in animation and done in a comical way, it is easier for us to digest. However I don't like the design of the man. I also thought it was wrong how the man was walking to the left because that portrays going backwards or the wrong way but then i thought perhaps that is intentional because ruining our planet this way is a step backwards and the wrong thing to do. I do like the idea of having a visual representation of how what we do affects the planet/the animals. I don't think this tone of voice is appropriate to WWF but the idea would work in a less graphic way.


This other video is called End overfishing. What I like about this video is the statistics we can see. I also like the 3D globe with the water but I believe we are wanting to go the 2D route on our project. What I do take from this is the movement in the animation like when the are talking about the aeroplanes and they fly in from the foreground, I think this is very visually engaging and jus the way they pan shots. I also like the voice over, it makes it seem very personal and like a David Attenborough show, I think this works well with the visual statistics as it helps the information go in.


Aggie has also done some research, she chose to look at pre existing WWF videos. Here is what she found and what my personal views are.


I quite like this video as it shows the 'domino effect' that something can  have. I really like that idea of literal dominos that are people taking a stand. I also like the contrast between the original black and white with the colour of the dominos showing a positive change.

http://vimeo.com/50829586

This video I actually didn't follow very well which has made me think that our video needs to be nice and clear. I do really like the illustration style though how its just outlines and nice and simple and I really like the texture on the background.

http://vimeo.com/117910068

I actually wasn't too keen on this video. I thought the visuals didn't really properly relate to the audio so it wasn't explaining what was being said it was more of a distraction. I also wasn't very keen on the illustration style but that is personal opinion. From this i have learnt that if we use audio it definitely needs to be properly linked to the animation and would be to help explain what is going on and they need to work in tandem.



http://vimeo.com/77782321

I love the visual style of this video how its nice and bright and colourful and clean and cute. I thought it was a really unique and clever concept how they did something that seemed silly and not something you would do and then showed you that actually this IS happening in a different context and then ends with a rhetorical question making you really think about it and although you were kind of giggling at the start, now your thinking oh actually...yeah thats pretty wrong. This is what we want to do, we want to make the audience think otherwise they will just see it as a video. If we don't leave a lasting impression, we won't get the target audience to think about how they are treating the world.

http://vimeo.com/26649021

This video is film but I get the reason Aggie looked at it. Its the split screen idea. I think this could work really well with animation perhaps having the left side as human and the right as animals and you can see that as the human does things, it affects the animal and you can instantly see this. 




I think a good thing to do from here would be to find some more videos like this and dissect them and find out what works and what doesn't. When we have done that we should create lists of the things we have found that we would like to include or want to consider, and the things we have seen that we definitely do not want to include.


No comments:

Post a Comment