Monday 17 March 2014

Rotoscoping practice

Today I tried rotoscoping for the first time. I used the tutorial I found on youtube to set it up in photoshop. I used a video of my friend doing some moves because I thought this would be interesting. I did it at 24 frames per second as specified in the brief. Things I have learnt from this are that its difficult to rotoscope someone in dark clothing especially with poor lighting as you cant see the definitions between the clothes. I also learnt how long this process takes. For 7 seconds of animation i have been working for about 6 hours. so lets say thats roughly an hour per second of animation. 
However I think the pros out way the cons. You don't have to think as much as you would if it was coming out of your head. I think it will be worth it when it's done as the final product looks great.
What I found difficult about this was that in some positions you couldn't see parts of his limbs or they looked like stumps but i had to force myself not to add extra bits because they're not visible. Also The motion blur blurred out some limbs that were actually there! I think higher resolution video might be a good idea.
Overall though I'd say I quite enjoy this process though I found i got engrossed in it so much that my eyes now hurt because I wasn't taking enough breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment