Saturday 18 January 2014

Snow white

This video shows the fascinating makings of 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' recorded a year after it's release in 1937. To be able to see the process instead of imagining it is very useful. I realised just how many people worked on this project and how much longer it took than todays animation techniques. Watching this video, I wanted to do the tracing over the pictures onto celluloid paper and the painting, but I can imagine it getting tedious with the amount of images they had to do, many of them not feeling much different from the last. I'm surprised the chemists that created the 15,000 different colours and shades didn't get more credit for this film because that must have taken a lot of work! The backgrounds were all done in water colour by fine artist that took months of work, I love the background style. I also think they were onto a good thing there using a separate background that didn't have to change or be redone and then overlaying a picture on see through paper. Genius! I really like the effect too I would like to try it some time. I think I prefer the old drawings of snow white even though the colours aren't as bold. There's something more majestic and innocent about her. It's the same with Whinnie the pooh. The old drawings are so much more beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment