Monday 3 February 2014

Brief- A tale in the sting

We got given our brief today for 'a tale in the sting'. In this we have a brief within a brief and we have 3 to choose from. If i chose task A- ident  I would choose E4 because I love their e-stings and watch E4 all the time, Cebeebies because I think it would be fun to try and capture a different audience, also my niece loves to watch this so i could see if she likes it too! And I would choose the Discovery channel because I like the idea of doing something more to do with nature than like a graphic. BBC4 doesn't particularly interest me and it would be hard to do a animation for something serious and boring. I feel this would be good to do because the animations are shorter which means I wont get frustrated on one thing I can just move on to another if I was bored. However this project would involve a lot more research and that is certainly not my forte so as there would be triple the research for this task I don't think that is a good idea for me. 
If i chose task B I would probably try to do my favourite book "Fallen" by Lauren Kate. This would be good because I have read it already and can re read it if i need to. This would give me the opportunity to advertise the main parts in the book but not give the story away which can be difficult. I could also bring the characters to life which I love doing. However I think something like this might need to be filmed rather than animated I just feel that would make it look better. Kids books and comic books might work well animated but not a serious book like this especially as I haven't learnt to do really nice detailed animation. 
If I chose task C I would choose childline as I believe it's more engaging and I already know more about it so that would make research easier. I also helped my sister do a childline video when she was studying photography so I have an idea of what goes into it. I think this project would give me the opportunity to really try and get an emotional response from the piece. I could also really get into the project.
An idea I had was a hand drawn animation (but probably drawn on the computer because it would be less time consuming and probably neater) There would be a kid reading a book with a torch under a blanket. The dad comes in and rips the blanket off and throws the book. Then it can go to a dark screen with writing on it saying something like "every minute 10 kids are abused" (but obviously factual) Then go to another shot of the kid in class with a black eye and people just oblivious to it. Another black screen with words "no-one even notices, if they do they do nothing" Maybe he could be drawing a sad picture.
Then to a shot of the kid doing his homework, he hears the door open and his face is scared. The dad comes in (no sound as he appears to be angry and shouting, maybe in slow mo) he picks up the book throws it down and grabs the boy. "children live in fear"
Then a shot of the boy sat in a corner in tears. and more writing saying "please help stop this"
I'd have sad music in the background. I was thinking use a hand drawn style because children draw a lot and they draw how their feeling. I like the style of the BAF title sequence. With a higher frame rate I think this would look good. It will also give me chance to improve my drawing skills and work on facial expressions.
Alternatively I could do a pixillation video but this would mean finding some actors and relying on them and what with going home over easter when I would need to do a lot of work I don't think it  would be practical. Though it would make for nice emotional pictures using photography skills and mood lighting.
Looking on the website it is very much about the children being worried, maybe they might get caught trying to get help. Maybe at the end of my animation the kid could punch the numbers into a phone (view of the real phone number) and then the kid saying hello into the phone. This could show that this is the first step to getting help and might encourage children to do so. Or he could be online because kids these days prefer to do things online rather than talk on the phone so it could be him talking to someone like on chat online.
Another idea I had was that the story could be told in a series of Childs drawings like in felt tip or crayon like in "orphan" where Max draws what her new sister did. This could be hard hitting to the audience. 
Most of my ideas have been towards the adults being my audience but I think it would be nice to find an idea that is more towards the children that are being affected. 
Just a quick thought was that most of the video could be in black and white and greys but then when he picks up the phone it could be in colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment